Excerpt from “Chapter Three: The Empty Grounds Of Drumheller Cemetery”

Haunted Nights at Drumheller Castle: Ethereal Quandary: A St. Charles Tall Tale by Faly Colaizzi

Excerpt from “Chapter Three: The Empty Grounds Of Drumheller Cemetery”:

Days had passed since Mrs. Winston’s funeral. It was once
again a stormy morning in St. Charles, and the relentless
weather blew through continuously, rolling its way through
this sleepy town. The scenic rural land and fields surrounding St.
Charles stood stagnant as old rusted-out farming equipment sat as
permanent icons idling from another era. Through his open bedroom
window, Jake could smell the rain in the air as the Fox River raged,
splashing and striking parts of the North Avenue Bridge down Main
Street. The local geese scuttled to the west side of the banks looking
for some calm in the frenzied, chilly waters.

Jake was enamored with the history of his town of St. Charles.
Even though his memory and concentration were suffering under the
weight of his fatiguing symptoms, Jake never wavered in his proud
loyalty to his town. By 1896, so many years after the start of the
Industrial Revolution, the town of St. Charles had been home to more
than eight mills, foundries, and factories that held their own and provided
a large number of jobs in town for many years. Creameries produced
butter and cheese and worked closely with the local and
surrounding farmers on the rolling hills of Kane and Dupage Counties.
The farmers in turn had worked with none other than the town’s
most famous industrialist, Mr. Mark Drumheller, who had established
a more efficient method of farming and had bred large champion
Percheron draft horses from France that assisted the farmers
with their more sophisticated and advanced plowing systems.